Monday, January 31, 2011

“One of These Days I’m Gonna Love Me”

Earlier this week I was driving to meet with one of my clients and flipping through the radio stations.  I landed upon a song I have not heard in a while.  It was Tim McGraw’s One of These Days.  I listened to the words again and it really reminded me of the significance that song holds for me.  After listening to the lyrics again this week, it is clear to me how the last verse of the song is a mantra for everyone who has ever struggled with confidence or self-doubt.  The final verse is this:
One of these days I'm gonna love me
And feel the joy of sweet release
One of these days I'll rise above me
And at last I'll find some peace
And then I'm gonna smile a little
And maybe even laugh a little
But one of these days...I'm gonna love me

Those words are so profound and I can still recall the exact moment they changed my life.  I want to share that moment with you today.  While I hesitate to over-share my private life, it is through sharing with you my personal battles that I hope will allow you to trust me and to hopefully face your own battles and succeed.  Several years ago I struggled through a bad marriage.  The most difficult part was coming out of it.  Somewhere in my head, I knew something was wrong.  But, I had put so much effort and time into loving my husband and trying to be a good wife, I lost me.  I devoted all my attention to making the marriage work that I was unable – or unwilling – to see that I couldn’t fix what was out of my control.  One morning my radio alarm went off and what came over the airwaves was the true awakening I needed that day.  When I awoke that morning to One of These Days it dawned on me that in the process of the marriage, I had forgotten to love myself.  Hearing those lyrics, I realized I had to love and respect myself more than anyone else on this earth.  That can be a very hard fact to face, especially as a woman, but one that is essential for both men and women.  We think we must put our spouses, children, family, and careers first.  But, how can we take care of those elements in our lives if we haven’t taken care of ourselves?  I always remind my clients to think about the last time they were on a plane.  If you pay attention to the safety instructions from the flight attendants, you will hear them tell parents that in the case of an emergency landing, the parent should put the oxygen mask on themselves before putting on their child’s.  This analogy is directly applicable to life – in order to love and take care of others, you must first love and take care of yourself.  

I found a way to love and respect myself – I have fought personal battles with my weight as well as a divorce and learned to live again.  So many people fight a personal battle with their weight.  They have failed to love and respect themselves and, as a result, face being overweight, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and/or type-2 diabetes.  If you have allowed yourself to choose late nights at the office over a healthy dinner or planning the kids’ activities over exercising, this is your time to get yourself back.  While it may be hard to believe, no one will hate you for taking time to yourself.  It is essential to be the best you.  While you cannot fix things that are out of your control, you can fix yourself.  So, I ask you this, have you forgotten to love yourself today?  There is still time to make a change – do it now.  Whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds, I know you can do it.  All you have to do is love yourself and respect your body.  And if you need help with that, I am here for you.  I will take an uncompromising approach to getting you healthy again.  Together we will find sweet release and…one of these days, you’re gonna love you. 

www.coachdconsulting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment