Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How did I get here?

How did I get here?  How many times do we ask ourselves this question?  How did I get here physically, mentally, emotionally?  I am sitting here at my laptop with a civil engineering degree, a license to practice engineering in numerous states, and a handful of professional awards and honors.  However, this past summer I made the decision to leave my desk job, and maybe more importantly my steady paycheck, to follow my passion.  I have not applied my engineering degree in over five months - with the exception of doing quick calculations when my clients lose weight and inches each week!  I traded my suits and high heels for spandex and tennis shoes.  I have started my own business and now work as a health coach and personal trainer.  I did not go to school to be a nutritionist, and I have not worked as a personal trainer for any gym.  I do not deny that I don't have all the credentials that many folks in this business do.  However, I do know the facts - I am a woman who has been overweight, was teased as a child for being chubby, starved myself only to end up binging, struggled with cellulite and stretch marks, and fought my own demons.  Through it all I finally learned how to get healthy, feel good, and be satisfied with myself.  I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off for a decade.  During that decade I survived the loss of loved ones, planned a wedding, struggled through a brief marriage, and was devastated with a very difficult divorce.  The one thing I do know is that had I not lost the weight and learned how to love and respect myself, I would have never survived.  I was able to release and relieve stress by running and working out, and I was able to stay mentally and emotionally intact by eating healthy food and fueling myself proper nutrients.  So, while I may not have all the fancy credentials, I do have the scars of being heavy and feeling self conscious.  I have lived through trying times in my life and I now know what works and what doesn't.  So, I feel it is my duty to help others regain their lives and live to the full potential that they are capable of and intended to do.  I have helped friends, coworkers, family, and clients lose weight, eliminate meds, sleep better, look great, and feel amazing.  I have proven to be successful and now I want to help as many people as I can.  Obesity is so frustrating to me because it is a 100% preventable epedemic that is killing us at an alarming rate.  So, I start this blog today as my first step to change the lives of as many people as I can.  I conclude today with a quotation from Edward Everett Hale, "I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."  I ask you to join me each day as I try to make a change for the better, one person at a time.  Together we can get healthy, and in the process we will add depth and breadth to our lives. 

http://www.coachdconsulting.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment