Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Oh, the Places You’ll Go

This month marks five years since I left my full-time engineering career to pursue my passion of health and wellness.  It sure would be nice to say that my path has been smooth and exactly as I anticipated.  That makes for a much prettier package.  However, my journey has had twists, turns, and unexpected bumps along the way.  But I made a commitment to myself to always follow my heart and trust my gut. 

Many years ago, I was given the book Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been able to relate to this book over the past few years.  Here’s a sample of what has encouraged me:

“You have brains in your head.  You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
On and on you will hike, and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.  Step with care and great tact.
And remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

And will you succeed?  Yes!  You will, indeed!
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!”

In the past five years I have learned so much about myself and other people.  I’ve come to understand the courage it takes to make a change, resolve it takes to stay the course, determination it takes to uphold your work ethic even if you can’t see immediate results, and the joy that is felt when a life is transformed. 

I always had big dreams
From the time I was a kid, I always had big dreams.  Mind you, I was always a realist, so I never dared to dream bigger than I could accomplish.  If I decided I could (or would) do something, I simply did it to the best of my ability.  Sports and math came easy to me.  So, it seemed my destiny that I would be an athlete and would become an engineer.  I achieved both – on an award-winning level, I might add.

In 2010, as I approached 30th birthday, I began to dream big once again.  At that young age, I had already experienced a marriage and divorce, loss of family members, and a career crisis during the economic recession.  I was concerned that if I
One of many engineering awards
took a risk, I might not be able to recover.  But I also knew that if I didn’t take that risk, I might not be able to shake the “what if?” 

So, I took a leap of faith and have not looked back.  I am a person who doesn’t live with regret.  Have I questioned my decisions in the past five years?  Absolutely.  Have I wished I had been more prepared?  For sure.  But have I regretted taking that leap and betting on myself?  Absolutely NOT. 

Every journey will have its bumps and curves and unexpected forks on the road.  However, the main thing to keep in mind is that a journey takes you places.  Whether it’s a new career path, a personal evolution, or a weight loss transformation, you will end up in a better place.  You just have to take that first step.  And once your journey starts, keep the faith, follow your heart, and trust your gut. 

When you’re ready to take a journey and go someplace great, I will be here for you.  I will educate, encourage, and motivate you to transform your life.  Together, we will go places and move mountains!  Go to http://www.coachdconsulting.com  to see all the ways I can help you and those you love.  Obesity is 100% preventable and it starts with the first step! 

No comments:

Post a Comment